The stories we hear every day about AI can influence the way we think about the implementation, use, and regulation of AI systems. In this module, we introduce an approach to construct questions that help you extract useful information from an AI story, and practice applying these questions to news, advertisements, fictional, and historical stories about AI.
Core ideas and tools#
- stories inform the technology we create, and analysing these stories reveal much about intentions, attitudes, and approaches to these technologies
- stories about technology are often extremes and all encompassing - the messy, mundane, and missing harbour useful information.
- appropriate questions help uncover different perspectives from AI stories, treating the AI as both a tool and a system
At the end of the module, participants will be able to:
- explain how technology can affect and be affected by stories
- articulate a grey area between AI narrative extremes
- construct questions of AI narratives that start unfolding the complexity in AI-enabled systems
This module is ideal for decision-makers in complex systems, including people who work with AI.
Why take this module?#
This module will provide you with approaches to asking questions that help you have a more nuanced and diverse perspective for understanding AI systems.