Ideal for decision-makers in complex systems, this module introduces the Cybernetic Star: a simple and effective tool for bringing the components of systems to light across the domains of people, technology, and the environment. Participants will practice applying the Cybernetic Star to a case study AI system, exploring different vantage points and the effects of component changes.
Core ideas and tools#
In the context of AI and technology it’s important that we move beyond thinking in objects to thinking in systems.
The core ideas and tools of this module are:
- the Cybernetic Star can help us identify the components of a system
- the Cybernetic Star can give us different vantage points for viewing and drawing boundaries around a system
At the end of the module, participants will be able to:
- identify and analyse the human, environmental, and technological components that comprise complex systems
- see a cybernetic system from multiple vantage points
- describe potential outcomes when a component in the system changes
This module is ideal for decision-makers in complex systems, including people who work with AI.
Why take this module?#
This module will provide you with a practical tool, applicable in a wide range of contexts, for starting to effectively navigate complexity.